QUOTE OF THE DAY!

My mind is a garden. My thoughts are seeds. My flowers will be either flowers or weeds.

- Mel Weldon


Sunday, January 19, 2014

MADONNA LOOSELY USES RACIAL SLUR ON INSTAGRAM


Once again, within thirty days of backlash from a distasteful stunt, Madonna is under fire again. According to her, she is receiving negative press for using the N-word as a term of endearment towards her Caucasian son Rocco.  The 55-year old Queen of Pop who is known for her playful- girlish-charm uploaded a snapshot of her son on Instagram during his boxing match with the caption, "No one messes with Dirty Soap! Mama said knock you out!  #disn-----."

After a firestorm of controversy, Madonna issued the apologetic statement, "I am sorry if I offended anyone with my use of the N-word on Instagram.  It was not meant as a racial slur...I am not a racist."  She also said, "There's no way to defend the use of the word. It was all about intention...It was used as a term of endearment toward my son who is white. I appreciate that it's a provocative word and I apologize if it gave people the wrong impression. Forgive me."


The incident is just fuel on the fire for the music icon, causing onlookers to question the image she is portraying as a parent.  Just recently, at a family New Year celebration, Madonna posted photos of 13 year old Rocco and his friends posing with bottles of alcohol.


The multi-Grammy winning superstar has two other children - Lourdes Maria Ciccone and a black adopted son David Banda Mwale.  The Michigan native, born Madonna Louise Ciccone, trained with African-American dance legend Alvin Ailey and worked with a multitude of African-American performers and musicians most of her career.
   

The reactions to a white person’s use the word is viewed as insensitive and a disregard that the word garners hurtful degrading overtones towards people of color.  Short of making the use of the N-word a felony or a misdemeanor, I don’t know what will or can be done to mark the conscientiousness of the world to think “bad” before the word rolls off their tongue or in this case, fingertips.

Read more here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

No profanity please! Thank you.